ISRAEL

ISRAEL
The Old City of Akko

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tree Fog Canopy Tours

Oh, my gosh! What was I thinking???? I was standing on a tree platform high above the forest for Tree Frog Canopy Tour’s zipline experience. Located 9 miles south of Loudonville, Ohio, it is advertised as “Ohio’s Longest, Highest, Fastest canopy tour with over 4,000 feet of pure fun!” It sounded like fun when I read about it. But, now I was facing reality.

It didn’t help my nerves any that it was a foggy morning. The zipline stretched on disappearing into the fog and I couldn’t even see my next tree perch destination. For those who haven’t experienced this bit of insanity, canopy zip lining amounts to putting on a crash helmet (never a good sign) and getting strapped into a harness (a VERY good sign,) hooking to the zipline with TWO safety hooks, then pushing off into the great abyss.

I took a deep breath and with only a tiny shove soared off into space. I was expecting to be scared-to-death since I ride a rollercoaster holding on so tight my knuckles are white, scrunching my eyes shut and screaming at the top of my lungs. I planned to use the same technique on zip lining.
I went fast all right, zipping past trees that were only a green blur, but to my surprise I wasn’t scared. Maybe because of the harness and safety hooks I couldn’t have fallen out if I wanted to, or maybe, it was just such an exhilarating experience. Even when we walked swinging bridges and rappelled down trees, I had a ball. My only problem was for some reason I kept getting turned sideways. The instructors told me what to do if I couldn’t get straightened out before reaching the landing tree. I was to signal and the employee would send out a brake – really a very large rope knot – that stopped me. I did have to swing my harness around backwards and “rescue” myself by pulling hand-over-hand on to the platform. I only had to do this once and for only about six feet.

Would I go zip lining again? You betcha. It was fun, safe, wild and besides, my grown kids were all so jealous they were green. I love it when they complain they have to work and Mom has all the fun.

Tree Frog Canopy Tours
21899 Wally Road
Glenmont, OH 44628
740-599-2662
www.TreeFrogCanopyTours.com
Info@TreeFrogCanopyTours.com

While in the area visit Mohican State Park for great accommodations, fun and food.
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment