ISRAEL

ISRAEL
The Old City of Akko

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Grand Canyon Trail of Time

The Grand Canyon is an jaw-dropping sight. After I've enjoyed the beauty and colors of the different rock formations, the way cloud shadows change the scenery, and the size of the canyon, I start wondering just how long it took the Colorado River to carve the chasm. To find answers to my questions, I follow the 1.2 mile easy paved walk, Trail of Time..

Along this timeline trail, I watch for round markers. The first one is at a view point where I can see the Colorado River deep in the canyon. I learn that the canyon is only 6 million years old. That's just the blink of an eye in geologic time. The river cut down through some very old rock to form this amazing gorge.

The second marker identifies the Upper Flat Layers that were laid down in 270-315 million years ago. I'm standing on the light colored Kaibab Formation. This is the youngest layer and is composed of limestone. It contains fossils of coral, shells and sponges.

Marker number 3 provides a view down on the 525 million year old Tapeats Sandstone. Pronounced "ta-PEETS," this is the oldest horizontal layer and is 525 million years old, but isn't the oldest rock in the canyon.

The Grand Canyon Supergroup is featured at the next stop. I can pick out the bright orange Hakatai (HACK-a-tie) Shale 642-1244 million years old.

The last stop showcases the oldest rocks in the canyon, the Basement Rock. These are among the oldest rocks in the Southwest at 1.66 to 1.84 BILLION years old.

All this age, beauty and spectacular scenery is why they call it the GRAND Canyon.

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment