ISRAEL

ISRAEL
The Old City of Akko

Monday, August 15, 2011

Grand Canyon NP. North Rim, Widforss Trail

Just when I think that every trail there is in the Grand Canyon, has been covered by my boot prints, I find one that hasn't. The Widforss Trail and parking lot was just a wide spot in the road that I use to fly by on my way to Point Sublime. This very well traveled trail is only 5 miles long and on fairly level terrain. The shaded scenic portion follows the rim for the first 2 and 1/2 miles. By hiking the total 5 miles, the second 2 and 1/2 miles in forest, you arrive out in the canyon at Wilforss Point. The tour guide printout, that you can buy for 25 cents at the trail head, lists all the wildlife one can see on this trail. We were looking for the mountain lion or bobcat but all I saw was the Kaibab squirrel.
According to a couple of backpackers, you can get a backpacking permit to spend the night out on Wilforss Point. There is no water or restrooms. They said it was magnificent so I'm going to try it, in September. Bernadette Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment