ISRAEL

ISRAEL
The Old City of Akko

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

There is still a lot more going on in Cody, WY so we can't leave yet.

It's a good thing that when you purchase your pass to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, it's good for two days.  There's way to much to see in just one day.  I started in the Greater Yellowstone Natural History Gallery and was met by my favoriate wild animal, the bears.  There were the grizzlys, the black bear and the cinnamon black bear.  What caught my eye though, was the video of a attack by a grizzly which was warded off by the same Grizzly Bear spray that I used to ward off an attack by a black bear. If you call up http://www.grandmaneedsafour-wheeldrive.com/ you can see the video of my attempt to change the approach of a black bear looking for a granola bar in my camera bag.  
Buffalo charging over a cliff and crashing down to their death, is done in bronze along a two story wall in the Natural History Gallery.  My Dad grew up with the Plains Indians of South Dakota and told me the story of this way of killing enough meat for the winter for the whole tribe. To actually see what it was like, gave me goose bumps.
The Plains Indians Gallery had a modern day quilt hanging.  When the missionaries lived with the Native Americans, in the eighteen and ninteen hundreds, they introduced quilt making.  Janet and I did a story for Arizona Highways Magazine on the Hopi's quilt making. They use modern materials but individualize the quilts by introducing shapes and forms that have  Native American significance. The display of Plains Indians is extensive and delightful to wonder through. More on this Center tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment