ISRAEL

ISRAEL
The Old City of Akko

Thursday, December 29, 2011


ROTORUA, Polynesian Spa, NEW ZELAND, HEAVEN IN HAIL

The central portion of New Zealand’s North Island is a geothermal wonderland.  This is the land of the Maori people who have made their homes among the plopping mud pools, gushing geysers and steaming thermal pools.  Most mornings a fog hangs low in the mysterious valley and the smell of sulfur permeates the air.

            I spent several days exploring this region and will be blogging more about it, but one of my favorite experiences didn’t involved the beauty of the place, but the chemistry.

            I had been in New Zealand for nearly two weeks and from all the adventures, my muscles were feeling the strain.  When we stopped at the Polynesian Spa in Rotorua and had a chance to soak in the warm geothermal pools, I was more than ready to jump in.

            Travelers have come to the Rotorua area for more than a hundred years, to “take the cure.”  The highly mineralized water seems to help relieve a number of health problems.  Today, visitors come for a variety of reasons.  Some claim it helps stiff muscles and arthritis, others extol the beauty benefits on their skin while others praise the relaxing effects.

            The staff at the Polynesian Spa explained that there were a number of different pools at different temperatures and that some were acidic and some alkaline.  When I asked what the difference was – not chemically – but just for me, they explained that generally if you want to work on your skin, go to the alkaline, but if you want to get rid of sore muscles, the acidic pools were for you. 

            Me—I grabbed my towel and hobbled as fast as my complaining legs could take me to the nearest acidic pool.  Forget a beauty treatment.  I wanted pain relief.

            The pools were outdoors with a couple of them having shade roofs over part of the pool. I started in the “coolest” of the hot pools and worked my way through several more until I arrived at one that was about 114 degrees Fahrenheit. I reveled in the hot water and my aches and pains seemed to float away. 

            While I was luxuriating, the skies clouded and the wind picked up.  I didn’t mind when a few raindrops started falling, after all, I was neck deep in hot water.  I heard the distance rumble of thunder, but I wasn’t too worried, the lightning was far away. 

            Then, the hail started.  Small pieces of ice plunked my head until I retreated under the shade roof.  It was fun sitting in warm water and watching ice splatter the unprotected part of the pool.   The thunder was getting louder, and then--CRACK--a bolt of lightning hit close by.

            My IQ may not be in the genius range, but I do know that lightning and water don’t mix.  I don’t know if it was from the wonderful water or if it was simple adrenaline, but my once stiff legs propelled me up and out of that pool and into the safety of the dressing room in record breaking time.

            My achy muscles stayed gone, so the “cure” must have taken.  I know I’ll always think of that incredible geothermal pool every time I see hail. It was truly heaven in hail. 

For more information on the Polynesian Spa visit:
www.polynesianspa.co.nz

Submitted by: Janet Webb Farnsworth, writer and Bernadette Heath, photographer, writer of "Grandma Needs a Four-Wheel Drive, Adventure Travel for Seniors." www.grandmaneedsafour-wheeldrive.com

No comments:

Post a Comment