ISRAEL

ISRAEL
The Old City of Akko

Monday, November 21, 2011

Ziplines in Queenstown, New Zealand

If you want to get your heart beating and the adrenaline flowing, buckle into a 5-point body harness, hook on to a steel cable, walk down some stairs, step into nothing, and fly along the lines of Ziptrek Ecotours in Queenstown, New Zealand. Oh My Gosh. What a thrill! When I managed to catch my breath and open my eyes, the view was incredible. I could see Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu below me in a postcard-perfect view.

In the United States, we call these contraptions Ziplines, but in New Zealand they are often known as “flying foxes.” A person riding a zipline is a zipper. Whatever the name, the adventure is the same. I rode a gondola (price for gondola ride extra) to the top of Gondola Hill and walked over to Ziptrek’s office. After donning the harness, my guide hooked me on to the steel cable. They are very safety conscious and I never felt in danger. From a platform high in a tree, I walk down about six steps, took a deep breath, then stepped off to zipling away.

Ziptrek Ecotoursg brags that it has the steepest tree to tree flying fox in the world. Zipping along between 30-40 mph, I went from one tree platform to another, making my way down the hill. I was worried about slamming into the next tree, but they have a stopping device on the cable that brings you slowly into the next platform. It’s exhilarating. I’m not the bravest person in the world, but I was not afraid. Well, let me amend that statement. While I did manage to step off the stairs backwards with my arms extended, I couldn’t drum up the courage to hang upside down like some of the braver riders were doing.

Closed toe shoes are required and I found out why. There is one downhill hike portion on a rough trail. It had been sleeting and raining and the trail was slick. I just had tennis shoes on and this hike was a lot more difficult for me that dangling in the air. So, go prepared for the weather and wear good solid shoes. Ziptrek Ecotours operates everyday of the year, come rain, shine, snow or wind.

If you want to enjoy adventure in New Zealand, this is a must. Reservations are essential. Check out Ziprek Ecotours at www.ziptrek.com/queenstown.

No comments:

Post a Comment